Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sick in the City

This weekend was really relaxed. My roommates were all on different trips and I was thinking about going to Slovenia with Molly and Keifer but I woke up on Thursday and I could barely speak. I spent most of Thursday in bed and on Friday I was still not feeling well but I ventured out and took a long walk around my neighborhood on some of the streets I had not looked at yet. I'm glad I live in Praha 2, because I get to experience Old Town and Praha 1 because my friends live there and all the historic stuff but I don't feel like I am around tourists all the time.

On Saturday I went to Old Town Square to see the Dali exhibit but there were tons of people in the square and some traditional Czech singing and dancing on a temporary stage. I watched for a while and looked around at the different booths that were set up selling food and realized it was "International Chef's Day." I made my way to the exhibit, its in a building that that just houses different traveling exhibits. The Dali exhibit was cool, intermixed were pictures of Dali in his apartment taken by Vaclav Chocola, a Czech photographer that met Dali in Paris. It also incorporated some of his scultures and drawings. I really liked the etchings and a long series of small pictures inspired by the Divine Comedy. The images he created had a lot of magic and energy.

On Sunday I bummed around some more and walked to the church yard and read and did some sketching. I finally finished Unbearable Lightness of Being. I was an uneventful weekend but I feel a lot better.

Today I visited the Pinkas Synagogue in the Jewish Quarter with one of my classes. It has the names of Jews who died in the Shoah all over the walls. Its very overwhelming to look at. I have very specific memories going there in high school. I think the most interesting part is the cometary in the back where people are buried twelve deep and the gravestones are all faded and crooked. It gives it a very eerie and romantic feel.

Afterward I went to Tesco (the Czech version of Target) and got some boring things I needed.

Tonight I'm going to the Opera House to see "Swan Lake."

No comments: