Thursday, October 9, 2008

fasting and blogging

On Tuesday night I went to Swan Lake and it was beautiful. I don't know much about Ballet but I really enjoyed. The theater was gorgeous, too. It was the perfect backdrop to a classic ballet performance. After that we hung out at M1 and the people from South Africa were talking to me and wanted to talk all about the election and if I was going vote for Obama.

Wednesday during my living history class we visited Veserad Castle. You have to climb a bunch of stairs to get up to it but it was beautiful. The views were great but it was a little foggy. There is a park near it with statues were we were lectured. Our teacher told us a bunch of weird Czech legends about these sister and showed us a really cute play ground. The weather was perfect for sitting outside. We also saw a cemetery were important Czechs are buried. The plots were above ground and had a lot of flowers growing right out of them. I think I want to visit it again, I like going places with my class but its never enough time to really enjoy what you're seeing because you have to deal with the logistics of a large group. It was erev Rosh Hashana but I was so tired after class. I went to sleep and the later I went to a bar with a lot of people from my program called Cross Club. It was insane looking. The walls are decorated with motherboards of computors and everything is completely industrial and made of other recycled objects. The coolest thing were these light fixtures on the ceiling that glowed, spun and moved. It's kind of hard to describe but it was very cool. Most of the music was reggae and some of the people were a little scarey.

Today I went to services with four other kids from my program and they were nice but long. I would probably liken it most to a conservative service. There was a baby naming which was really cute. The rabbi explained that it is a special simcha for the community when a Jewish baby is born in Prague. For many years under Hungarian rule there could only be one Jewish child that could be married per family, then in WWII babies were not allowed to be born and until 1989 babies could be born but under Communism they were not supposed to identify with being Jewish. He said the Jewish community in Prague was slowly but surely coming back. I might go back tonight to hear the final blowing of the shofar.

I am so hungry!

No comments: